Staying Physically Active During COVID-19

December 7, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic has undoubtedly made day to day life more difficult. As gyms in Turlock close down or move to outdoor-only, it’s critical to figure out new ways to stay active. The resurgence of COVID-19 cases have left many without the option of visiting a fitness center. Although many would like fitness centers to be considered essential businesses, such as Gina Aaron, who according to the Modesto Bee is petitioning to do so, it is uncertain whether or not this change will occur. The World Health Organization recommends around 150 minutes of moderately-intense exercise weekly. This raises the question, “How can I remain physically active while staying safe?”

In an interview with James Peterson, the strength training teacher at Turlock High School, he shared some of his tips on staying on track with physical fitness during this pandemic. He states, “I think that using the internet is a great way to stay active during the quarantine. There are literally 1000’s of youtube.com videos of workouts you can use with no cost to you out of pocket.” These activities don’t necessarily have to be indoors either. According to Peterson, some examples of safe outdoor activities are “Riding a bike, going for a hike, jog, swim, doing yard work and even doing youtube.com videos outside….” Each of these activities serve as a safer alternative to the gym as long as safety guidelines are implemented such as staying 6 feet apart and wearing a mask where necessary. 

As mentioned by the World Health Organization, even small changes such as standing up, walking (even in small places), and taking small active breaks will improve one’s physical health. While going to the gym definitely helps with physical activity, COVID-19 has shown that doing so is not required to stay fit and healthy.