The Consequences of Drunk Driving

Alejandro Chaves, Junior Staff Writer

The sentencing for the man who hit and killed three students took place on August 16, 2019. The crash happened near Dutcher Middle School and the driver was under the influence at the time of the accident. The incident broke the hearts of many in Turlock, and the pain and despair from that night still hasn’t left our community. Sadly, what happened that night is not the only occurrence of driving under the influence. It is one of many incidents that occur every day because of one central problem, driving while intoxicated. 

This poor decision ends many innocent lives, yet the decision is still made to drive under the influence. People need to understand that the consequences for drunk driving do not end at a fine or jail time if caught, they go much deeper than this. In the worst-case scenario, which occurs if there is a person’s death involved, it will be a life-changing tragedy for everyone involved. 

It is never worth going through with drunk driving, too much could go wrong. However, there are things one can do to prevent such an incident from happening, such as calling the intoxicated individual an Uber, or Lyft, driving them yourself, or having a designated driver. Don’t let a person go through with it, no matter how persistent they may be about it. Because all it takes is one mistake and it’s over.