Vaping, a normality?

September 9, 2019

Vaping has become a concurrent issue in high schools across the nation, one of which happens to be Turlock High School. A vape, or E-Cigarette is a handheld battery-powered vaporizer that simulates smoking by providing some of the behavioral aspects; including the hand to mouth action of smoking, but without burning tobacco. The use of vapes throughout America has become remarkably common. A study conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed that one in five high school students use E-Cigarettes. While entering school bathrooms, it is no surprise to walk in and see a student using a vape pen. Justifications for students using vapes on and off-campus include flavoring, relaxation, and an alleged increase in classroom focus. Prior to this school year, there were multiple incidents where fire alarms were set off because of the use of vape pens in the bathroom. Ultimately, these fire alarms became a norm here at Turlock High. It would be pleasant to believe fire alarms would spur students to put vaping to an end in the bathrooms, but it only prompts them to be progressively cautious about it. 

In all instances, these fire alarms were not what anyone expected. I know from personal experience that it was the worst thing to be taking a test in dead silence and suddenly have a fire alarm go off and startle you. I needed more answers, so I reached out to Mr. Beebout, the leader of PHAST club and an English teacher at Turlock High. While having a discussion with Mr. Beebout, I asked if he believed vaping will negatively impact Turlock High in the long run and his response was, Yes, I think that the ease and concealability of vape devices make them attractive to students. The misconception that vaping does not have detrimental health effects can lead to lifelong nicotine addiction. E-cigarette vapor is just as addictive as cigarettes, possibly more so given higher concentrations of nicotine in some products. Additionally, teenage brains are still developing and can be more severely harmed by nicotine use than the brains of adults. Unhealthy choices now can have lifelong repercussions.” I also asked Mr. Beebout about PHAST club, and what the ultimate goal of the program is. According to Mr. Beebout, “PHAST stands for Protecting Health And Slamming Tobacco. As such, we strive to educate students about the dangers of tobacco products in order to help them make healthy life decisions.” 

Lastly, I asked Mr. Beebout if he believed vaping could actually help increase the focus of students in the classroom. He responded with “No. There is no evidence that tobacco use increases focus. Such devices are a distraction that takes away from the learning environment.”

The part of the cerebrum that is responsible for fundamental authority and control of inspiration isn’t completely finished developing. Teenagers are bound to put it all on the line with their security and prosperity, as well as the use of nicotine and different medications. At the point when a remote compound enters the mind, it can cause a person to lose control of their main thrusts and start to pine for a destructive substance. While the high school utilization of E- Cigarettes increments, nothing but time can truly tell how the future will turn out for those who vape. As more examinations are discharged, there will be more awareness related to the subject.

Clarion • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in