New Generations are Growing up to Quickly

Matthew Rocha, Campus News Editor

Personally being an advocate of freedom, individuality, self-expression, and having the right to fight power dynamics, taking a different approach to these viewpoints is where philosophies begin to clash. Being a senior now, and having a new perspective, I see younger students portraying themselves as “grown” is somewhat frustrating. To restate this, being a senior is great, I didn’t think I would make it this far, but I would give anything to relive my high school years. The frustration comes when lower classmen or even lower grade levels take their youth for granted by acting disrespectful or thinking the “it thing” is what they need to do, and wasting childhood portraying themselves as something that is simply not them. 

There is a difference between having a specific look or aesthetic and trying to dress for the masses. Media has drastic effects on youth, raising standards to both boys and girls on what they have to be; for example; teen girls are being subjected to unrealistic standards like perfect physical attributes such as hair, makeup, or clothing. Then, boys that need to be physically attractive and emotionally barren. Girls in media and TV are heavily edited whether it being makeup or digital manipulation, boys are shown as chiseled, brooding, and attractive, even if they are spray-on abs and have a suicide rate four times that of their female peers. 

What is truly irritating is the empty internet monologues and conversations in which individuals proclaim their greatness. Thus trying to overshadow those who quietly toil to better themselves. If someone is comfortable with his or herself whether they identify as “gangster” or you feel that you are “the bomb”, they don’t have to keep reiterating it on social media platforms. In short,  “A lion does not have to prove it is a lion,” said Iliza Shlesinger. So when younger generations keep saying, “ I’m grown,” “ I don’t need nobody,” “ I’m the baddest,” high chances are they are not any of those things.